Sunday, January 27, 2019

Dancing

Opportunities for physical activity are abundant in Philadelphia. From aerial yoga to Zumba classes, Philly has it all. A variety of activities are available to motivate the community to incorporate fitness into their routine. 

Over the past three years, I have enjoyed taking Barre3 classes, practicing yoga at Amrita, getting sweaty during spin classes at City Fitness, and perfecting my dance moves at Society Hill Dance Academy (SHDA). Since I do not always excel at finding a balance between my activities and interests, the dance class package I purchased last year from SHDA got dangerously close to expiring. Somehow six months flew by without my husband and I attending a single lesson. Fortunately, one of the instructors reached out and we scheduled our remaining lessons. Last Wednesday night, after a six month hiatus, we returned to SHDA located at 409 South 2nd Street.

Michelle was our instructor and she was wonderful as she guided us through the slow dances we previously learned including Foxtrot, Waltz, and Tango. Her warm personality, encouragement, and skill made me regret not returning sooner. It was also a pleasure to see the resident cat, Madelyn.

Madelyn at Society Hill Dance Academy

My husband and I previously took dance lessons at Swing Cat located in Pottstown when we lived outside of Philadelphia. I always looked forward to attending my weekly swing dance session after work as well as getting dressed up for the parties they hosted Saturday nights. It was fun to dance with people of varying skill levels to great music. Sometimes they even had live music including Chelsea Reed and the Fair Weather Five.


My husband and I at a wedding, using our dance skills that we learned from Swing Cat

I'm glad my interest in dance is something I can continue to explore in Philadelphia. If you too are interested in sharpening your dance skills, check out SHDA where your first lesson is free.




No comments:

Post a Comment