Sunday, February 10, 2019

Spin Classes

At the end of September, I took my first spin class at Flywheel Sports, located in Center City at 1521 Locust Street. I was motivated to try the class when they hosted a special ride to benefit the Pennsylvania SPCA. The class was challenging, but I enjoyed being able to pet dogs from the PSPCA after the ride, and the positive experience made me want to return.   

Photo from my first spin class at Flywheel (photo courtesy of Flywheel instructor, Amandah) 

Recently, I have been taking spin classes at my local gym, City Fitness. In addition to yoga, indoor cycling has become part of my fitness routine this winter. The instructors have meticulously curated playlists and positive energy that elicits the participants to clap and shout out “woo" after difficult hill climbs.

When one of my favorite instructors, Becca, subbed for a 6:15am class, I was committed to going even though that meant walking to the gym when the temperature was only five degrees Fahrenheit. Her personality and music selections always make me smile. The night Kurt Vile (one of my favorite local musicians) was to perform at the Met, we road to KV Crimes. Other than WXPN, her class is the only other place I have heard the song "Just Can't Get Enough" by the local band, Sheer Mag. "Deliverance" by Bubba Sparxxx has been played during her cool downs, which I have not heard since my boyfriend senior year of college put it on a mix CD in the summer of 2006. There is always an eclectic mix of tunes filled with surprises.

KV and me

After class, if time permits, I love to use the HydroMassage. Being massaged by water pressure feels amazing. Starting my morning with cycling and a massage makes me feel motivated to conquer the rest of my day.


No comments:

Post a Comment